Following an in-person Cuddle Therapy Session, it is possible to experience an oxytocin down or drop. This phase, which is usually quite short, may seem difficult to overcome. It is therefore important to know how to take good care of yourself in order to better get through it. Post-Session Follow-ups allow you to analyze your personal oxytocin management strategies so that the next Sessions can be better experienced.
*Post-Session Follow-up: Free 30-minute virtual follow-up
What can the Post-Session Follow-up be used for?
Your Post-Session Follow-up serves above all to analyze your reactions after your first Cuddle Therapy Session.
We can then:
- Discuss your personal oxytocin management strategies; if they are enough for you, if you need more, etc.
- Check the intensity of your oxytocin high and drop.
- Estimate the best approach for your next Cuddle Therapy Sessions.
- Answer any questions that may have arisen from your first Session.
Why do we talk about oxytocin?
Oxytocin is a hormone mainly produced during pleasant physical contact (consented hugs and cuddles) lasting at least 20 seconds. Oxytocin impacts the mind and many body systems.
Although a sufficient and regular intake is beneficial or even necessary for good physical and mental health (see the benefits of oxytocin); an oxytocin high can carry certain risks, including leading to an oxytocin drop.
An oxycotin high may…
- …give a feeling of well-being and the impression of floating on a cloud, to the point where you forget to drink and eat and where it can become risky to drive a vehicle.
- …give the impression of falling in love with the other. We must then remember that it is not really the person who has this effect on us, but the oxytocin. (For more information, see the limits of Cuddle Therapy.)
- …lead to a drop in oxytocin…
An oxytocin drop may…
- …in some people, in the 1 to 3 days following an overdose, there may be a drop in oxytocin characterized by a feeling of isolation, depression, lack of affection, lack of energy, etc. (See the next section to discover different strategies to combat a lack or drop in oxytocin.)
Different oxytocin management strategies
Among the various oxytocin management strategies, some aim to produce extra oxytocin through physical contact, while others focus on the production of other happiness hormones. Here are some tips that Calia has concocted for you:
- A 5 steps DIY for a self-cuddling session at home to help you get an oxytocin boost.
- Different resources on consent in order to be able to make consented hugs with other people (only physical contact that is consented can produce oxytocin; this is why Cuddle Therapy is all about teaching consent!).
- A list of different ways to increase your happiness hormones which can compensate for the lack of oxytocin and hugs.
When the feelings of loneliness and depression are too strong, several resources are there to support you.
Here are a few; don’t hesitate to use them:
Virtual Post-Session Follow-up
To make the booking process easier,
logging into your account.
Booking process for a Virtual Post-Session Follow-up